[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] DANCE STUDIES COLLOQUIUM

PhiladelphiaDANCE.org philadelphiadance at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 11:08:09 EDT 2016

The Institute for Dance Scholarship of the Dance Department at the Boyer
College of Music and Dance, Temple University, announces the 2016-17 Dance
Studies Colloquium. A list of speakers, topics, and dates follows. The
Colloquium extends through the entire year and affords the opportunity for
a sustained conversation on the state of dance and dance studies: speakers
include both scholars and artists.

These events are free and open to the public. Unless otherwise specified,
all presentations are on Tuesdays, 5:30 - 7pm at the Center for Humanities
at Temple (CHAT) Lounge, Gladfelter Hall, 10th fl., Temple University. Live
streaming available at www.temple.edu/boyer/dance/RR.

Parking is available in a TU parking lot (hourly, reasonable) at Berks and
11th. Gladfelter Hall is the first high-rise building when entering TU's
main campus from Berks and 11th, two blocks from the Septa Regional Rail TU
station.

Dance Studies Colloquium is a dynamic interactive speaker series designed
to facilitate a dialogue about emerging topics and issues related to dance.
It brings together artists and scholars to explore how we initiate and
assimilate ideas and events and our resulting actions within the field of
dance.

Schedule

*2016*

September 27

Jeff Friedman

Mason Gross School of the Arts

“Minding the Gap: The Choreographer as Hyper-Historian”

http://www.masongross.rutgers.edu/dance/faculty/jeff-friedman

October 11

Harmony Bench

Ohio State University

“The Gift and Given of Dance Online”

https://steamfactory.osu.edu/people/bench.9

October 25

Jane Desmond

"Moving Across the Species Lines"

http://www.anthro.illinois.edu/people/desmondj

November 15

Danielle Robinson

York University

“Materializing Historical Dance, Past Dancers, and Modern Dancing”

http://yorku.academia.edu/DanielleRobinson

November 29

Pallabi Chakravorty

Swarthmore College

"This is How We Dance Now: Performance in the Age of Bollywood"

http://www.swarthmore.edu/profile/pallabi-chakravorty

December 6

Petra Kuppers

University of Michigan

"Drifting and Dancing in the Asylum: Disability Culture Movement"

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~petra/petra.htm

*2017*

January 24

Danielle Goldman

The New School

"New York Dance in the Eighties: A Partial Return"

http://www.newschool.edu/lang/faculty/?id=4f44-5133-4e44-6b3d

February 7

Lucia Ruprecht

University of Cambridge

"Gesture between the Auratic and the Profane: Reading Franz Kafka and Niddy
Impekoven with Walter Benjamin and Giorgio Agamben”

http://www.mml.cam.ac.uk/dr-lucia-ruprecht-0

February 21

Cindy Garcia

University of Minnesota

“Latin@ Dance Shimmers, Visions, and Grooves”

https://theatre.umn.edu/people/dance-faculty/profile?UID=cgarcia

March 7

Michelle Ellsworth

University of Colorado

"Corporeal Coping"

http://www.colorado.edu/theatredance/michelle-ellsworth

March 21

Nadine George

University of California San Diego

"Taking the Cake: Black Vaudeville, Dance Competitions and Value"

http://theatre.ucsd.edu/people/faculty/phd/NadineGeorge/index.htm

April 11

Rachmi Diyah Larasati

University of Minnesota

"Decolonizing the Archive: Dance Technique and Politics of Moving Body"

https://theatre.umn.edu/people/dance-faculty/profile?UID=laras001

April 25

Gustavus Stadler

Haverford College

"Dance, Disability, and the Rhythms of Intimacy: Woody Guthrie, Sophie
Maslow, Marjorie Mazia."

https://www.haverford.edu/users/gstadler

If you would like more information, please contact Dr. Mark Franko at
mark.franko at temple.edu <mark.franko at temple.edu?subject=>, or David Heller
at hellerd at temple.edu.

--

Tel. 484-469-0288